Introduction to a Living Legend and Optimist

    On the morning of April 25, 2000, an 8lb legend was birthed. Baby Payton was an absolute unit, I was large and in charge. As my parents recall, I "screamed and cried for twenty-eight consecutive hours until I passed out of exhaustion." I like to think that I was announcing my arrival in a grand fashion so that everyone present at my birth would never forget me.

    Twenty years and some months have passed since then and now here I am writing this post for this wonderful class that we have all chosen to devote five months of our lives to. Hi, My name is Payton Rowland and I am a junior Journalism major with a minor in Communication. I have always had a passion for writing, I think that's why I was so intrigued by this class.  Blogs like this one allow for an outlet for people to display their creativity. I began writing during my sophomore year of high school and I got addicted. Writing and my love for sports formed a dream career in broadcast journalism with a specialization in sports. 

    My love of sports goes back to before I can even remember. I am lucky enough to have a brother that is two years older than me who also loved sports and who would play with me every day when we were kids. I played baseball first but ended up finding basketball as my favorite sport and wanted to pursue it. I made the basketball team as a freshman in high school and all was well until I got hurt. I fractured my ankle while going up for a rebound and had to have surgery to fix it. What was a minor surgery turned into two years of therapy and rehabilitation as the surgeons forgot to clean their tools prior to surgery which caused a bone infection in my ankle that would frankly change my life forever. I two emergency surgeries to clean out the infection and I was sent home five days later with a PICC line in my arm to pump antibiotics straight to my heart. I was lucky to come away from this trauma with my ankle still attached to my leg because it turned out the infection ate away at forty-five percent of the cartilage and if we had not acted as quick as we did they would have had to amputate it. Another surgery that following summer left me with four surgeries total, two years of not being able to walk, and one incredible lesson that you should never take things for granted and that everything happens for a reason. I gave myself two options, either you see it as an excuse to be moderate or as an opportunity to be great... I chose the latter. 

    Now, instead of playing the sports I once loved to play, I turned my injuries into a positive and created a goal for myself to finish school at one of the best journalism schools in the country and become a sports journalist. I would never change anything.
    
"Never Ever Give Up" via Max Pixel

Comments

  1. Hi Payton,

    Wow your story is so moving! Thank you so much for sharing. I absolutely love how you're taking your injuries and surgeries in a positive light and turning it into motivation for your future. I am happy to hear that you are still pursuing sports, but in a different and more creative way!

    I am looking forward to reading more of your posts this semester!

    -Libby

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hey Payton! I’m sorry to hear about your basketball injury, that sounds like it was a rough time. I’m glad you were able to bounce back and turn that into a positive experience. I’m a big sports fan myself, so I think that’s awesome that you’re going into sports journalism. Hopefully you’ll make it big time one day! It was nice to meet you, and I hope everything goes good for you this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always so glad when folks from Gaylord end up in this class, Payton... thanks to Adam Croom and other faculty there, I know there are all kinds of blogging experiments going on there, and maybe you can use this class to try out some new blog experiments, like using Twine for choose-your-own-adventure storytelling or embedding audio in your blog with SoundCloud, etc.
    I broke my ankle in high school and one surgery was plenty for me. I am so glad you were able to get back the use of your foot, and you will have so much empathy and insight now into what athletes go through who face injuries and long recoveries too. Luckily, adventures in digital media don't lead to broken ankles (not usually anyway), so I hope you will be able to have injury-free adventures in storytelling in the world of Myth-Folklore this semester! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Peyton! I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. My brother broke his foot really badly on our trampoline once when I was younger (I was one of the few to witness it), and it was practically severed. Just like you, it was basically a miracle he didn't have to amputate. I've had the same philosophy as you: don't take things for granted, and everything happens a reason. Ever since I was a baby, almost died in the hospital, and was diagnosed with my heart condition, I've been living by that same mantra as well. Hope you have a good semester; maybe we'll run into each other sometime in Gaylord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I left a reply to your comment on my blog you might want to check!

      Delete
  5. Payton,

    Wow, you got me on the punch with your introduction. That was impressive the way to weaved that in. I should start all my stories like that.
    Reading about the story of your surgeries, I am quite inspired by how you got to where you are today as it wasn't easy to overcome the things that you overcame. You are right. You are dealt with the hand you're dealt with and regardless of the things that you can't control, there are really ever only two choices that you must choose diligently: will I succumb or overcome? And I think you made the right decision and I am so glad you did. I look forward to hearing more about you in this upcoming semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Payton, you will definitely do very well in broadcast journalism becuase I think even from your introduction you were so articulate and wrote so well. I use to want to persue orthopedic surgery and I have never heard a story quite like yours. That is crazy. I too played basketball and highschool in highschool and I admire the outlook you took because I am not sure I would have been able to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Payton! I love your intro story. It sounds like you were well on your way to making a statement in this world from birth. Being the youngest, my parents kinda had the crying under control but I can imagine 28 hours would be enough for everyone to pass out of exhaustion. I love that you have a passion in life. It is hard sometimes to do anything if there is no push behind it, but you are rocking it! I, also, was super intrigued and excited to do the blog posts because it allows for a brain dump and then a sorting of everything you have learned!

    ReplyDelete


  8. Hello!
    I love the narration format choice for the beginning of your intro! It's wonderful to hear you have a passion for writing. I do as well, and I'm a Professional Writing major in Gaylord. I'm sorry to hear about your injury, but I'm glad you've managed to continue moving forward with your life. I wish you all the luck with your sports journalism career.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Payton! I could tell from the first paragraph of your introduction that you were a good writer and must love it :) Nice to meet you! I also grew up with an older brother and LOVE sports. I'm sorry that an injury affected your high school basketball career, and beyond. I'm happy you're okay though and I'm happy you've found your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Payton!

    I loved the first paragraph of your introduction, it definitely made me laugh. I can tell you love to write and you're good at it too! I'm good at writing but don't love it so much.
    I'm sorry to hear about your basketball injury. That's awful that they would miss something so small as cleaning their tools and it ruin your whole basketball career and almost cost you a limb. I'm glad you've still been able to incorporate your passion into your career because a lot of people dont! I wish you the best of luck and have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Payton! First off let me congratulate you on your fantastic attitude! Despite having been through so much, you seem to roll with the punches and make the best of whatever your dealt! Reading that was truly inspirational! I think sports journalism is a great fit for you! That would be heartbreaking to endure such an injury and then have so many complications...I am really happy you found your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Payton! It's great that you found a way to direct your energy towards journalism and communication, it must have been so hard to do so, but It's absolutely amazing that you have. I am sure that you will go far in your career. I love your writing style and this post is so inspiring. I hope you stay healthy and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Payton,

    I like how you told a story for your class intro. It matches the goal of the class and still gives insight to your life and personality. Sports Journalism sounds like a great goal for you. I wonder what your class schedule look like, do you take writing classes AND sports theory classes? Is that even a thing? So many questions lol. Anyways, I'm excited to see what stories you come up with, I'm expecting sports...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Payton! Wow this intro was very inspirational. I love that you were able to turn a very bad situation into a good one. When one door closes a new one opens. That's very scary what you went through. But I'm so glad you were able to find light in it and wouldn't change a thing if you had to go back. I read your week 11 story and I think you are a talented writer. Good luck with your future! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Payton! It's very nice to meet you, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud while reading what a unit you were when you were born. You have a great sense of humor, and it really shows in your writing! I think journalism is a great choice for you, you seem like a great writer who has lots of ideas to share. Overall, it was nice meeting you and good luck in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts